It is September 2016 and the Acer Predator wlil not be released until 2017, so obviously we haven’t repaired one of these yet. But… we have been working on laptops for 15 years now so it is only a matter of time before one of these comes in. Honestly, we can’t wait.
Diagnostics are free here. The fun will start though when it comes time to troubleshoot this machine as we will not have any compatible parts to help us narrow down the root cause of a Predator’s problems. That is ok though, we always find a way.
Questions we have at first glance:
- How in the world does that curved display install?
- Are the cables to the eye tracking device behind the screen?
- Are the dual GTX 1080 video cards easily replaceable? Are they upgradeable? Are they a standard PCe connection?
- Will Acer discontinue all parts for these as soon as the laptops leave the warehouse, making them unrepairable?
- Will the laptop overheat? Initial “reviews” suggest that it has 5 fans to keep it cool. But, when it comes to laptops, fans only keep a unit so cool. There are lots of laptops out there with 3, r or 5 fans which run so hot that they are defective by design.
- Will people drop it? With a weight of around 17lbs this thing is going to be a beast. Drop it once on the corner and you will be calling us to repair your 21X sooner than you expected to.
If you have one of these that died please either tell us how below or bring it in so that we can see it!
Image credit: business insider.